Thursday 27 June 2013

The Curious Case of My Flat Cookies

So yesterday I was pretty bored and I decided that I really wanted to make cookies!  So I found a recipe online for these Skor cookies that sounded to die for, and started mixing together everything.

About halfway through my endeavor, I realized that I had no eggs.  Now, I had two options to get me out of the situation that would have been perfect.

1.  I could walk to the store all the way across town in the 35 degree celsius weather (after I'd just gone for a run in it....note to self: get up early to run.  It will make your life so much easier).
2.  I could phone a friend and ask to borrow a couple eggs.  Unfortunately, everyone I tried to get in contact with was working, or on vacation.

Needless to say, I took neither of these options.  Instead I turned to the internet.  Now, I'm very trusting of the bakers on the internet.  So, when I saw this posting of a person who used a mixture of cornstarch and water instead of eggs, I was like "why not?".

Imagine my discouragement when my cookies came out of the oven looking like this:


The picture doesn't really do it justice, but the cookies are about half of the width of one of my fingernails....not good!  Not to mention they look absolutely nothing like the picture says they should on the recipe.  

I was about ready to toss them in the garbage right then, but of course, I got curious.  A curse, I know.  I had to try them.  As it turned out, they tasted really good!  Shockingly good.  

Sometimes things don't always work out the way we would like them to, but that doesn't mean they won't work out in their own way.  Just because things don't go according to plan, doesn't mean the plan is ruined.  Sometimes something unexpected could happen and surprise you.

But just so you know, cornstarch and water does NOT make a good substitution for eggs!
Don't believe everything you read on the internet!

No comments:

Post a Comment