Friday 28 June 2013

Just Like You

This is a poem that I wrote a while back.  I know what you're thinking, "she's not a poet", and you're absolutely right!  But occasionally I attempt it!  Anyways, this poem is about bullies.  Well, not bullies specifically, but the victims who are tortured by them, day after day.

You see, people, girls especially have a huge amount of pressure put on them to act a certain way, look a certain way, be a certain way.  Sometimes they get brainwashed into thinking something is wrong with the way that they are.  As a society we need to rethink what we believe to be true, and start accepting people for who they are.  So, here it is!

JUST LIKE YOU
Our classmates' views that year were new,
All wanted to be just like you.
I'll cut my bangs, I'll dye my hair,
Whatever for a longing stare.
I'll starve myself, I'll never eat,
Obey my diet, never cheat.
I've changed my mind, I'll eat, I will,
But throw it up with just a pill.
I'll smoke, just once, so I'll fit in,
Be sure to hide it from my kin.
I'm sure this seems ridiculous,
It happens to the best of us.
Now that I'm sick I really see,
It's easier just being me.
And now I've changed, I'll start anew,
I'm free of being just like you.

A while back I submitted this poem to a teen magazine called Teen Ink.  I'd appreciate anyone who could click on the link below and rate this poem so I can have a chance of getting it published in their magazine!

No comments:

Post a Comment