Monday 8 July 2013

T-Shirt Quilt

Alright guys, this is my latest project!  Ever wonder what you're going to do with all of those old sports, event, or concert t-shirts?  I mean, no offence, but you can't wear them forever!  Anyways, I had a TON of shirts that I never wore because they were either really big, or really small, or just plain worn out.  I had two big bags of them stashed under my bed collecting spiders, so something had to be done.

Over the last couple days I have been cutting, pinning, and stitching things to make my very own t-shirt quilt!  My sister found this project on Pinterest (best site EVER) and we decided to give it a try!  I haven't yet got batting and backing for my quilt, but I'm hoping to do that as well!

Here's how to make the t-shirt part of your quilt:



You will need:

  • 25 t-shirts with designs (may use t-shirts twice if there are designs on front and back)
  • cardboard
  • pencil (for tracing)
  • rolling cutter/scissors
  • sewing machine
  • thread (any colour, doesn't matter)
  • iron


Steps:

  1. Find 25 of your oldest, useless t-shirts.
  2. Cut a 13x13 inch square out of cardboard.
  3. Trace your cardboard square onto each t-shirt on the design that you would like.
  4. Use fabric scissors to cut out each square (I used a fabric roller cutter and it worked good!).
  5. Arrange your t-shirts on the floor the way you would like them to look on your quilt.
  6. Sew together the rows first.  To do this you flip two squares so the right sides are together.  Pin them together to make it easier!  Then use a sewing machine to sew a straight stitch where the two squares will meet.  Flip open and do the same with the rest of the row.  Repeat this step with each row after that.
  7. Flatten the seams using an iron.  If the first row's seams are pressed left, the second row's seams should be pressed right.  Etc.
  8. Sew the rows together.  Pin together all of the corners with the corners of the next row.  Add additional pins to make sewing easier.  Then sew together rows 2 and 3, 3 and 4, 4 and 5.
  9. Iron to take out the wrinkles and flatten the seams.
  10. If wanted:  combine front of quilt with batting and backing for the finished product!  (I haven't made it here yet :P)



No comments:

Post a Comment